Copyright Registration in India
There is a surge in the amount of intellectual property being registered in India due to an increase in awareness among people about intellectual property laws and the advancement of technology, Settlemytax allowing for both online and offline registration of many of the type of intellectual property being created will be the best to outsource your company’s copyright registration in India. Copyright registration in India is one of the key types of intellectual property protection and allows for the protection of literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works.
Copyright is a claim to ownership and possession given by the law to creators of literary, dramatic, musical, artistic works and producers of cinematograph films and sound recordings. It is a bunch of rights comprising of rights to reproduction, communication to the public, adaptation, and translation of the work. Copyright guarantees certain minimum safeguards of the rights of ownership and possession of the authors over their creations, thereby preserving and remunerating creativity.
- Copyright protection creates a public record of the ownership by the copyright holder.
- Copyright protection enables the holder of the copyright to take legal action against infringers in a court.
- If the legal action is taken before or within a certain period from the date of publication, it enables adequate evidence in court relating to the validity of the copyright and the facts that are stated in the certificate of copyright.
- If registration is made within a short span of time the person’s work or at any time prior to the infringement of the copyrighted work, the copyright owner is permitted to claim statutory damages in a high court. Without the process registration, only an award related to actual damages and profits will be made available, and these can be quite complicated to prove in a court of law.
- Copyright also enables moral rights to be identified as the creator or the author of definite kinds of material (known as the paternity right), and raise an objection to the distortion and mutilation of the right. An author’s right to object to the adaptation or derogatory action in relation to his or her work is referred to as an integrity right.
- Copyright protection provides a very important motivation for the creation of several intellectual works. Devoid of copyright protection, it would be simple for others to take advantage of these works without paying any royalties or remuneration to the title-holder of the work. Copyright, therefore, encourages enterprise and enables an encouraging climate to motivate economic activity.
- One can openly exhibit his work with copyright protection.
- Copyright protection renders benefits in the form of economic rights which entitles the creators to exercise control over the use of their literary and artistic material in various ways such as producing copies, performing in public, broadcasting, use online/on the internet, etc. and to avail an appropriate economic reward.
- Copyright protection enables creators to be rewarded for their originality and venture consequently.
- Registration and entitlement to copyright will display the validity of your copyright if it is registered within a period of five years of publication. This can help avert future challenges to your works related rights.
- One can use, reuse, and reproduce the copies and can sell the copies of the work that is copyrighted.
- One can deal with the imports or exports of the whole or part of the work with copyright protection.
- Permits the copyright owner to record the registration with Indian Customs to help in protection against the importation of infringing copies into India.
- One is liberated to create any derivative work from the copyrighted work.
- One can deal with transmitting or the display of work by radio or video with copyright protection.
- One can sell or pass on the rights of the work to the other person with copyright protection.
With Settlemytax one can register a copyright with just a few steps ?
- Application for registration is to be made on Form XIV ( Including Statement of Particulars and Statement of Further Particulars) as prescribed in the first schedule to the Rules ;
- Separate applications should be made for registration of each work;
- Each application should be accompanied by the requisite fee prescribed in the second schedule to the Rules ;
- The applications should be signed by the applicant. The Power of Attorney signed by the party and accepted by the advocate should also be enclosed, if applicable.